Happy New Year!
When we first started this blog, Kio and I, wanted to be life tour guides for lost Millenials. Then, the Ferguson decision changed everything.
Ferguson changed our blog.
Ferguson changed our lives.
Our blog turned from a witty, humorous advice blog to a call for activism. Of course, like true Millenials, we followed our passions onto another path.
Now that it’s Monday and day 5 of the new year or Page 5 of 365, we want to encourage you to Stay Woke this year! Every year people make resolutions that they give up on after a week. The saints go on fasts and start Bible challenges that they do not complete. We all bombard the treadmills at Planet Fitness and then fall off before Valentine’s Day.
This year, we want you all to stick to your resolutions. We want to hold you accountable and we also want you to hold us accountable! Here’s a few tips to get your year started on the right foot and to keep you marching throughout the year:
- Set a motto for the year. My motto for this year is “Live a life of service.” I want to be less focused on me and more focused on serving God and others.
- Try to find supporting quotes and phrases to keep your motto in your mind. If you’re a spiritual person, find a scripture or quote to help you. I’m memorizing, “Galatians 5:13, You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love.”
- Once you’ve set your motto, surround yourself with it. Put it everywhere! Make it your cell phone wallpaper. Write it on your bathroom mirror. Stick it on the refrigerator. Wherever you are, there your motto should be.
- Set your goals and seal them. Each year, I write down everything I want to accomplish whether it be “work out more often, but don’t be guilty when you can’t make it to the gym,” or “smile more and don’t scrunch your eyebrows so much.” I fold up the papers and put them in a mason jar or inside a vase. Throughout the year, I’ll go look through the jar/vase just to be sure I’m on track. Check the picture of my Jar of Dreams for this year.
- Be held accountable. This is the most important weapon to have in your arsenal. Most people do not follow through with their resolutions because they do not have a firing squad behind them who won’t allow them to quit! Surround yourself with people who are in the fight with you. If there are people in your life that are not supporting you, then you might need to reevaluate your circle. Join a Facebook group of like-minded people, go to networking events, Bible studies–whatever you need to do to meet people who are on the same path as you.
This year could be the year for you to accomplish everything that you’ve put off in years past. Be awake. Be aware. Be ambitious. We are cheering you on. Go be the change and set the world on fire!